Thursday, September 8, 2011

1 week down. 5 months, 3 weeks to go



Well we survived one week! So far Brandon... and the helmet are exceeding my expectations! Jody and I were pretty shocked after even a few days how quickly his head is taking shape. Since he started at only 5 months, his head is extremely "mold-able". Now we just have to keep up the helmet use until his little soft spots close/harden.

B usually wakes up around 6. I take his helmet off, clean the inside with rubbing alcohol and leave it in front of a fan. I stick him in the tub and then let him "dry" for an hour break- then it's back to helmet time.

I did have a few major concerns and here are the updates so far.
Sleep- The helmet does not seem to affect his sleep at all, shockingly! I spent the entire 1st night waking up to stare at him on the video monitor and he was sleeping peacefully.
Rash/sores- The helmet does rub on his cheek causing some redness but I'll have it looked at during his 1 week check up today.
Smell- Oh good Lord. This thing stinks already. Despite cleaning it and B religiously- the helmet reeks like vinegar.
People's reactions- People tell me his helmet is very cute. I haven't noticed people staring more than usual- which tended to be a lot anyways when I'm out with 3 adorable kids in 1 cart.

Overall, I am very happy with the helmet so far and am glad we made the decision we did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment