Saturday, September 3, 2011

Mixed Bag

Today I'd consider a mixed bag. When B woke up I put the helmet on and he did not cry 1 tear. I was ECSTATIC! Then the heat started. It was so ridiculously humid here today. Brandon (wearing only his diaper pretty much all day) had sweat dripping from the "sideburns" of his helmet, poor little baby. Today's schedule was on 4 hours, off 1 hour. I let him take his morning nap without it on and I even snapped a pic. Probably the last time he'll sleep without a helmet on for at least 6 months, still so strange to imagine. For his second nap I had him wear the helmet. Once again, the issue was not being able to lay on his comfort side... aka his torticollis side. He tossed and turned, waking up 3x during a 1 hour nap crying. Every 4 hours when the helmet came off I'd let him sit in a cool bath. I put the helmet on around 3:30 and we went out to dinner around 6. That's when it caught my eye that his ear was folded completely in half and he never made a peep. I, of course, felt like total crap for not seeing it sooner. It is SOOO hard to get the helmet on. I know after a few weeks it will be second nature- that will be much better. Tonight he has to wear it all night. I'm a nervous wreck. His orthotist mentioned that if you "give in" and take it off when they fuss you're only making it harder for them to adjust to the 23 hr routine. I have a fully stocked DVR just in case my little boy needs so middle of the night snuggle time. PLEASE let him sleep comfortably and PLEASE let this weather cool down.

No comments:

Post a Comment